Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Dolphin Close Encounter -


Today went to the Dolphin Close Encounter

It started out with an orientation, including identifying the parts of the dolphin (did you know dolphins have belly-buttons too) and a discussion about keeping the "wild" in wildlife by not getting too close to dolphins, and never feeding them in the wild.

We then proceeded to the lagoon where we were introduced to Dot, our dolphin for the day. We were able to get in, standing on a platform that was about 3ft under water. We were able to give Dot a rub-down and feed her. We also got to dance with her, feed her, and she even gave us a hug and a kiss. She also gave Jakob a squirt of water!

It was a fun experience

A picture of the entrance to the Dolphin Encounter Lagoon.



1 comment:

Blue said...

our 1st summer in bermuda, there was a place like this on the island that tourists could pay an exhorbitant sum (like $300 for an hour...30 minutes of which was actually spent interacting with the dolphins), but it was also a marine research station. I heard that one of Doc's classmates at the BBSR who had an interest in marine life, was able to go spend a day there "helping". I thought it sounded fun, so I called them up and said I was in Bermuda through the BBSR (which wasn't s strictly true...Doc was there. I was along for the ride and had no marine-related career aspirations) and asked if I could volunteer for a day too. "Sure!"

So I went there the next morning and spent the entire day following the researchers around. I took the 14 yr. old daughter of the family we were staying with along...figured they'd send her home if that wasn't cool. But they let her stay. We cut up all the food for the dolphins meals that day, and watched them do their training routines etc. We stood by while the tourists got to do their thing. And then, when the day was over, the researcher told us, "Why don't you put on your mask and fins and hop in with them".

For a glorious hour, I got to have "free play" with the dolphin in the tank. We danced, swam, played catch, i held his fin and he pulled me along. It was a complete fantasy. Ever since I read Madeline L'Engle's "A Ring of Endless Light" as a child, I'd dreamed of having an experience like that.

Glad you're enjoying the resort! Thanks for the updates!